Writing different types of essays are mandatory for the students of schools and colleges. It has become one of the most important parts of the students’ curriculum. The school assignments, term exams, and the college coursework are incomplete without essays. This blog is a complete guide for essay writing to help the UK students in their regular homework and examinations.
Coming to the types of essays, there are a lot of them; that’s the reason the students get confused with the manner and style of writing these essays. Without knowing the differences between the various types, one cannot choose the topic for essay writing wisely. If you select a certain type of essay, it is necessary that the way of writing the essay should match the type. If you students remain confused about the sorts of essays, it would cost you much. So to solve the issue, we come up with the list of five major variations of essays which are most common to be given at the academic institutes.
5 most Common types of Essay
1. Narrative Essay: this is a type of essay that has a tone of story-telling. In this type, the writer of the essay gets the liberty of writing it in a story-like manner. It includes the personal experiences of the writer and his or her opinions on the particular matter. The writer can draw attention of the readers to the real life instances and can conclude some lessons from. These essays are normally written in first person narrative. In short, narrative essays are written mostly from the subjective point of view.
2. Descriptive essay: it is another type of narrative essay; the only difference is that it is written from an objective point of view. It means that the essay comprises of the general information regarding the topic, and also the other details. The description should not be dull; it must consist of some inner significance and meanings. The writer of a descriptive essay must show what he or she wants to depict instead of merely writing some monotonous metaphors or simile.
3. Persuasive Essays: the name of this sort suggests clearly what the essay demands in it. The principal aim of a persuasive essay is to persuade the readers to agree with the writer’s point of view. The writer must create a strong base for the points and matters that he or she has included in the essay. In this essay the writer must visibly communicate the notions and justify his position I the whole essay.
4. Argumentative Essay: the tone of this particular essay, of course, should be argumentative; the writer should discuss both the negative and positive aspects of the topic. But, finally, he or she must stick to one particular position supporting either of the two sides. The language must be formal but understandable. Irrelevant display of emotion is a total NO in this kind of essays.
5. Expository Essays: some students get confused between the argumentative and the expository types, the doubt can occur, but they are totally different. Unlike argumentative essay, in the expository essay, the writer does not choose any position here. He or she simply analyzes the two different sides, for example, the PROS and CONS of the particular topic. Here also no personal emotion is included in the essay.
These different types of essays and their definitions discussed above will surely help you to distinguish between the varieties. Go through the details given here and then start writing your essays. The small talk here about the essays is helpful for all types of English essay writing.
You must keep in mind that following certain guidelines is not enough while you are engaged in essay writing. You must be innovative, your style must be subtle and lucid and the projection of the ideas in your writing should always be brilliant. So, without worrying much, start writing your assignments for essay with full confidence!